This article guides you on creating a Communication or Team site in SharePoint. It also provides useful guidelines and links about managing your SharePoint site.
Before starting to create and build your site, decide whether you need to create a new site or not.
You will probably not need a new SharePoint site if:
You will probably need a new team/communication site if:
There are currently two types of sites in SharePoint Online (SPO) that you can select from:
Communication sites are used to convey information to a wide audience. For example, many Faculties have a Communication site to inform staff and students about the Faculty.
Communication sites are rarely used for collaboration.
Team sites are used for collaborative working; for example, bringing together project content.
Before creating a stand-alone Team SharePoint site, please consider whether a team in Teams is more appropriate. Remember that Teams gives you more collaboration opportunities such as:
1. Sign into Microsoft 365 website
2. Select the app launcher icon
3. Select the SharePoint tile
4. At the top of the SharePoint home page, click "+ Create site"
5. Select the site option that fits better for you
6. Give your new site a name.
Please take in mind that when you create a team site, you can add it to a team in Teams. This may be a better option for collaborative communications within the team, rather than emailing.
7. This group email will appear under "Groups" in Outlook and works as a shared email. You can use this group email to:
Team members who have the correct permissions can:
8. You will see the field called "Site address*". This filed is automatically populated with the name added into the Site name (step 6). Change the site’s name if you need.
9. Add a description in the Site description box. This will help people know the purpose of your site.
10. Select how sensitive are your information between:
Please note: this choice has no effect on the site permissions for now and is informational only.
If you are creating a Team site, you will see another field asking to select one of the following privacy settings:
We suggest selecting "Private" as first option. If you say it is public, then everyone in the University (except externals) is automatically added to the site permissions. You can always change its settings and open it up to everyone in the university once the site has been developed.
11. Select a language. "English" appears as default option, but remember to change it if the site has to be in another language.
If you are creating a Team site, you will need to:
You do not have to add all site owners during the setup – you can add them later once the site has been developed.
12. Select "Finish". Your site will be created and will appear among the sites you are following.
We recommend you "following" the site once created. You can follow a SharePoint site by selecting the icon start and the linked sentence "Not following" in the top-right corner of the page.
To unfollow a page, you just need to deselect the same option.
Instructions for site users: SharePoint Online - As a site user how do I ... ?
Instructions for site owners: SharePoint Online - As a site owner how do I ... ?
Guidance on managing site members and sharing permissions: Manage site members and sharing permissions
Share a site - SharePoint (external site)
Was this article helpful?
If you have any further comments, please put them below.
Please note that feedback is anonymous - if you require a reply or assistance, please raise a ticket via ServiceLine.
Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.