CMDB (configuration management database) application entries can be created within ServiceNow by iSolutions staff.
An application refers to an environment within a system or service.
(Guidance around creating a new service entry is also available within the Knowledge Base).
1. Log in to ServiceNow
2. In the Filter navigator field, enter base items
3. Within Base Items, select All
A list of CMDB records will be listed.
4. At the top of the screen, select New
5. A list of all the Configuration Item types will display
6. Scroll down and select Systems & Services
The New record page will display.
7. Complete the fields detailed below
Fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory and as much further information should be provided where possible:
The CMDB ID is a system generated reference for the entry and cannot be changed.
* Name: Enter the name of the service followed by the abbreviated environment name in brackets, for example SUSSED (DEV)
* Operational Status: From the drop down list select the status of the application
* Used for: From the drop down list select the purpose of application
* Business Criticality: From the drop down list select how critical this service is to the business
Business Owner: Search for the business owner with their username, or select the magnifying glass for further search options, for example name or email address
Department: Start typing the department and select the required option from the search results
Service Owner: Search for the business owner with their username, or select the magnifying glass for further search options, for example name or email address
Fully qualified domain name: Enter the url for the service, for example sussed.soton.ac.uk
Description: Enter a brief description of the service
Version: Enter the software version
Edition: If there are multiple editions for this software, specify which one is in use here
Installed: Use the calendar button to select the date and time of installation
Last clone date: Use the calendar button to select the date of the last clone (if tracking clone dates in sysdoc, this does not need to be repeated here)
Last clone source: Environment clone was taken from
8. Attachments can be added to the entry by selecting the paperclip button towards the top right of the screen
9. Select Submit
The record will be live immediately.
Was this article helpful?
If you have any further comments, please put them below.
Please note that feedback is anonymous - if you require a reply or assistance, please raise a ticket via ServiceLine.
Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.