University of Southampton


Blackboard Arbitrary Course Rollover Request

If you would like to create an arbitrary Blackboard course, you will need to complete a Blackboard Arbitrary Course Rollover Request form.

An “arbitrary” course is a Blackboard course which does not have an equivalent in the Banner student information system. Such courses are used to cover course administration, sub-modules, whole programmes, projects and so on.

If you have an arbitrary course and you would like to roll over the course for use in the next academic year, please complete this form. Following submittal of this form, we will create a new course shell for this course with a replacement prefix and direct you toward instructions on how to copy your course materials over to your new course en masse.

Please note that, if your course is not used with student cohorts and does not require rollover, it is not necessary to complete this form.

You will require the following information:

Course Name

The course name can be found at the top of the course menu

Course ID

Note the Course ID is shown when you click on "Files" in the Control Panel.


Once you Submit the form:

  • You will receive three emails – one to state that the request has been created, a second that shows to whom it has been assigned, and a final message letting you know that the request has been fulfilled
  • You may also be contacted to discuss the request further

The form can be found here: Blackboard Arbitrary Course Rollover Request


Was this article helpful?

If you have any further comments, please put them below.

Please note that feedback is anonymous - if you require a reply or assistance, please raise a ticket via ServiceLine.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Tweet This Article

Back to List

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.